Friday, July 10, 2009

I Couchsurfed!!!


The reason Isa and I went to Port Angeles, WA (back before the Big Split), was that Isa was going to a Sound Healing workshop, conducted by a world-renowned guru expert on the subject, who happened to live in Port Angeles. Although I did not attend the workshop, I met a woman named Ursula who did, and who invited Isa and me to stay at her house, near Portland, on our way back north.  After leaving Isa, I didn't think it a stretch invite myself, a little ahead of schedule (and minus Isa). Ursula said yes and I had a wonderful time with her. She had excellent taste in art. I lament my failure to photograph any of it (and I meant to!). She's an accomplished musician and gardner, and volunteers her time with AIDS victims, using another alternative healing technique called Acutonics. She's taking courses for more alternative healing, she folk dances, jazzercises and loves her cat. My respect deepened as I learned of her prior academic accomplishments and the many hurdles she had to overcome. Thank you Ursula!

I rolled into Eugene, OR at about 5pm, found a coffee house with Wi-Fi, and sent out nine requests on Couchsurfing, for that very night.  I didn't expect anything, since giving NO notice is highly discouraged.  I went for a walk and when I returned to check my email, a woman named Ellen Singer responded.  "Yes." 

The experience was so utterly positive, and I hit it off so well with her and her husband Gary, that they convinced me to stay another night. And I think we'll remain friends. The Oregon Country Fair (which I'd never heard of) was happening this weekend and Ellen and Gary have volunteered since 1996. They offered to bring me along the following evening, as they set up their tents to camp at the site. I said, "Oh, there's a festival in Winfield, Kansas like that, where people camp on site for the weekend." They said, "This is like nothing you've ever seen." 

The Oregon Country Fair is a non-profit organization which owns the land on which the fair takes place. This year celebrates their 40th Anniversary. Eighteen stages, more than 100 acts (music, vaudeville, acrobatics, unique performances), juried artists, excellent food, on 400 acres of land, complete with pathways, wooden structures and sculpture. Four thousand volunteers, along with the performers, artists and vendors, form an intentional community for one weekend per year. I was so dazzled and enthralled by what I saw (and remember, this was during the set-up, before the actual fair started), that, in my zombie-like state, I started defining my life in terms of "Before" and "After" the Oregon Country Fair. I was easily drawn into this positive and creative manifestation of the human spirit. Should I ditch my house-sitting commitment in Los Altos?  Ah, timing, timing. So.....after Jerusalem, Next Year in Eugene! I took 100 photos and have several hours of processing to do. Be patient. Soon you'll see nuthin but pictures. 

I arrived at Ann and Rob's house in Los Altos on Thursday evening. I'm very comfortable here and love their dogs, Nicky and Rocket. It's nice to reconnect with Ann and to be reminded of what a good friendship feels like.  Ann and Rob are a such good couple (watch out, Drea and Dave, they might win in a throwdown). Maybe I'll start a "Best Couples" list. Both of their families are on the east coast, so they're getting married near Philly. By the way, I went to Grinnell College with Ann and we hadn't been in touch until I called her last March. Here are some pics from that visit. 





No comments:

Post a Comment