Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Sam's Graduation & Eric and Kris














General Shurtliff and family


I spent Memorial Weekend (plus Tuesday)  in Oberlin, OH for the joyous occasion of my son Sam's graduation from Oberlin College. I've added a photo link (top left part of the blog) which might convey the magical nature of the experience. Some things just can't be captured on camera, such as the enduring and deep connection among Oberlin College community; the profound history of the city and college; the loving, hilarious and supportive family we have; the pure joy and fun; and the marvelous person Sam has become. 

The supersaturated, lingering fabulousness of the Oberlin experience was what saved me during my travel back to CA.  My trip from Cleveland to Sacramento turned into one of those horrible flight experiences, where one is left thinking, "at least we didn't crash."  It became a two-day affair with extra stops in Allentown and Philadelphia (at no additional charge!); a sleepless night in the Philly airport baggage claim; and an extra day of long term parking.  Deep gratitude goes to Eric for providing a haven for my recovery (after 32 hours without sleep, it was kind of fun going to bed at 4 in the afternoon and waking up at 6 the next morning).  I stayed with Eric for a week during which he and his girlfriend Kris had a delicious BBQ (I ate sausage!), we went dancing, I was able to 
finish the graduation pics, I took long walks with sweet Buddy the dog and got to practice my Spanish with his mother Dora. Eric, I love you, my friend. 

Dora and me












Buddy









Eric and Kris

No comments:

Post a Comment