Saturday, June 27, 2009

Thanks to Diane

I arrived in Seattle on June 17 and stayed at a mediocre motel in Monroe, killing time before apartment-sitting for my friend Diane, who I'd met 25 years ago in Wichita. She's lived in North Carolina, including Asheville, for twenty years, before moving to Washington last year. 

Diane is especially inspirational to me because of her newest direction in life. She just finished the first of a five year program at Bastyr University to become a naturopathic physician. She turned 60 in April. I found her one-bedroom apartment intensely comfortable, with a quality futon bed, organic sheets, top appliances and kitchenware, pretty artwork, beautiful plants and sweet, little "Diane" touches all around. But more than that, I drank in the sensation of home, brimming over with gratitude at the stability, comfort and lovliness. 

I picked Isa up from the airport on June 24 and she stayed with her niece's family in nearby Duvall, until my apt.-sitting gig was up. Isa regularly invited me along with her and her niece to various Seattle sights, but I generally declined.  I preferred to stay home. I walked every day, I resumed yoga, I watched "Colbert" and "Daily Show," and cooked. 

I decided that it's not serving me or the universe to use so much energy just to figure out where to sleep each night.  

No comments:

Post a Comment